Καρυωτάκης Νικόλαος PhD
Nikos Karyotakis completed B.Sc. at physics, MSc (excellence funding scholarship) and his PhD (Manasaki scholarship from the University of Crete) at “Optics & Vision”. Since then he has worked as a researcher scientist at the Institute of Vision and Optics. His research experience and investigations have been presented or published in more than 15 international peer-reviewed scientific journals.
His research interests include scattering and interface of laser light with refractive and non - refractive media of the eye1,2. Biomechanical properties of the eye3 such as rigidity, intraocular pressure and outflow facility4. The development of invasive and non-invasive optical devices5,6 including corneal cross-linking and mechanical stiffness7. Also participated a project regarding the use of Tele-Ophthalmological Retinal Pathology Screening Service based on an Automated Fundus Camera. For the above research required a combination of physics, optics, optical design, electronics, programming and animal handling skills.
1. M.K. Tsilimbaris, N.G. Karyotakis, I. Attiti, and H.S. Ginis. Modelling of 690 nm Laser Light Transmission Through the Sclera. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., May 2005; 46: 277. Ft. Lauderdale, Florida USA. 2005
2. H.S. Ginis, N.G. Karyotakis, S. Plainis, and A. Pallikaris. The Effect of Light Intensity on Angular Resolution of the Human Eye as Determined by a Two–Point Discrimination Task. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci., May 2006; 47: 1222. Ft. Lauderdale, Florida USA. 2006
3. Dastiridou A.I., Tsironi E.E., Tsilimbaris M.K., Ginis H., Karyotakis N., Cholebas P., Androudi S., Pallikaris I.G.,: Ocular rigidity, outflow facility, ocular pulse amplitude, and pulsatile ocular blood flow in open-angle glaucoma: A manometric study Length IOVS; 54 (7), 4571-4577, (2013)
4. Anna I. Dastiridou, Harilaos Ginis, Miltiadis Tsilimbaris, Nikos Karyotakis, Efstathios Detorakis, Charalambos Siganos, Pierros Cholevas, Evangelia E. Tsironi, And Ioannis G. Pallikaris: Ocular Rigidity, Ocular Pulse Amplitude And Pulsatile Ocular Blood Flow; the effect of Axial Length IOVS; 54 (3), 2087-2092, (2013)
5. Nikos Karyotakis, Harilaos Ginis, Anna Dastiridou, Chrysoula Douka, Miltiadis K. Tsilimbaris, Ioannis G. Pallikaris: Minimally invasive elastometry in the living human eye; ASCRS ID 1539191; was selected as the honorable mention poster in the Cornea Category
6. Karyotakis NG, Ginis HS, Dastiridou AI, Tsilimbaris MK, Pallikaris IG.:
Manometric measurement of the outflow facility in the living human eye and its dependence on intraocular pressure. Acta Ophthalmol. 2015 Feb 1. Doi: 10.1111/aos.12652. [Epub ahead of print]
7. Kontadakis G.A., Ginis H., Karyotakis N., Pennos A., Pentari I., Kymionis G.D., Pallikaris I.G.: In vitro effect of corneal collagen cross-linking on corneal hydration properties and stiffness Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology 251 (2), 543-547 (2013)